Two months after divorcing my wife because I believed our shattered marriage was destroying us both, I found her alone in a Chicago hospital.
Chapter 10
At twenty-four weeks exactly, Sophie’s platelets fell to fifty-eight thousand.
I was in the corridor on the phone with Hank, arguing about a partner-nation letter, when the alarm went off in her room.
I have been in combat. I have heard the sound of a thing going wrong in a way that changes every plan in the next four seconds. Nothing in more than twenty years ever prepared me for the sound of that alarm.
Sophie was rigid. Her eyes were rolled up. Blood pressure one-eighty over one-ten. Dr. Raman was already there with two nurses, hands moving, shouting for magnesium.
“Sit down or leave,” a nurse told me.
I sat down.
I sat in the green chair and I did not move and I watched them work on her for eleven minutes, and I counted, because counting was the only thing I could do.
Then it stopped. Her body let go. Her pressure came down. The room went back to beeping.
Dr. Raman came out twenty minutes later, and she looked at me, and she said the sentence that I have replayed in my head more times than any other sentence in my life.
“Colonel. We need a decision tonight.”
“Tell me what the decision is.”
“Induction has to start now,” she said. “Her platelets can’t take another week. Her liver is unhappy. If we wait for twenty-eight weeks, she may not be alive to deliver, and I need you to understand that this is no longer a matter of preference. This is the point where the plan ends.”
“And the baby.”
Dr. Raman looked at me.
“Twenty-four weeks, two days. Estimated weight five hundred eighty grams. That is just under one and a third pounds.” She said it slowly. “There is a neonatologist on this floor named Dr. Tolan. He is one of the best in this state. He will tell you honestly that a baby that size has a real but difficult road ahead — months in the NICU, breathing support, a significant chance of complications. He will also tell you that babies at twenty-four weeks, two days, do survive and go home and grow up.”
“Then we deliver.”
“That’s not the decision.” Dr. Raman’s voice was flat. “The decision is what happens to Sophie. If we deliver tonight, we can start induction chemotherapy forty-eight to seventy-two hours afterward — after the placental bleed risk has passed and after her platelets are replaced. That is the fastest path back to treating her disease. But delivery tonight means a baby at twenty-four weeks, which is the hardest end of survivable, and a NICU course that will take months.”
“And if we wait?”
“If we wait seventy-two hours to give the steroids more time to mature the baby’s lungs, we get a stronger baby and a sicker mother.” She looked at me without a shred of comfort. “That is the choice, Colonel. There is no option where everyone is safe. There has never been one, and I’m sorry.”
I got up and I walked into the room.
Sophie was awake. Her eyes were clear, which frightened me more than the seizure had. She had that particular lucidity that comes when a person has been in a hospital long enough to know exactly what a room sounds like when it’s a decision.
“They want to deliver,” she said.
“Yes.”
“Tonight.”
“That’s what they’re asking me.”
She was quiet for a moment. Then she said, “Ask me.”
“Sophie—”
“Ask me, Ethan.” Her voice was a rasp and it did not wobble at all. “I have been making these calls by myself for thirteen weeks. The least you can do is ask me now that you’re here.”
So I asked her.
“Sophie. Do we deliver tonight and start your treatment in three days, or do we take two more days for her lungs?”
She closed her eyes.
Then she opened them and she said the thing that made me understand, finally and completely, what kind of woman I had married and divorced and never once understood.
“Both,” she said. “Take the two days and start the treatment anyway.”
“Dr. Raman said—”
“I know what she said. She said delivery means waiting for the placental risk to pass before chemo. She did not say I couldn’t have steroids for the baby and the first agent at the same time.” Sophie’s hand found my sleeve and gripped it. “There’s a drug she mentioned in the first week. The one that doesn’t cross. Ask her. Tell her I read the trial. Tell her I have read every trial she ever left on the table in front of me and I can name the one I mean.”
I stared at her.
“You’ve been reading oncology trials in a hospital bed for thirteen weeks.”
“I have had,” Sophie said, “a great deal of time.”
I went out and I said it to Dr. Raman, and Dr. Raman went very still, and then she said a word I had never heard her say.
She said, “Sophie.”
And she went in and sat on the edge of the bed and the two of them talked for nineteen minutes in a language of acronyms and amino acids, and when Dr. Raman came out her eyes were bright and she said, “Get the consent form. And get ready to wait.”
After a maternal-fetal medicine consultation, the team abandoned Sophie’s idea of improvising from a paper she had found online. Dr. Raman was firm: no experimental shortcut was going to be chosen from a single report. Instead, the leukemia, obstetric, and neonatal teams agreed on the narrowest evidence-based bridge they could justify while the steroid window was completed and Sophie’s blood pressure was watched hour by hour.
It was not a cure and nobody called it one. It was a controlled attempt to buy a little time without pretending the pregnancy made leukemia less dangerous.
Sophie agreed because, for the first time, the plan protected both patients without asking her to invent the medicine herself.
I have never in my life watched anyone do anything braver than what Sophie did over the next fifty-one hours.
